December 15, 2007

The Fit Finally Met Its Match

Well, the winning streak is over. Today, after swallowing countless items we did not think would go into the car, we finally encountered something that didn't fit.

My wife and I have a furniture and space design company, so we haul large and odd shape items quite often. This is part of the reason why we chose to purchase the Fit. And truthfully, the car has surpassed our expectations many times in terms of cargo capacity. From full set of dining room chairs, large bar height tables and 4 bar stools, long curtain rods, bookshelves, office chairs, even my mother's luggage while seating 4. And believe me, anyone who knows her knows that is a feat in itself.

Finally today, for the first time, we were unsuccessful in carrying a furniture piece. The item was this Galant left-hand corner table top from Ikea. 160cm x 120cm with a few more cms on each side for the packaging materials. When I saw the package at the full serve counter, I had my doubts that it was going to fit. My wife thought otherwise. And so far, she has been right everytime. So we pushed the cart to our car and decided to give it a go.

If we could only get it inside, it would have worked just fine. The problem was that we were just unable to get the item into the cavernous cargo area. A few more inches either in the back or through the rear doors and we would have made it. We even took it out of the package thinking we can angle it into the Fit, but it still didn't work. We briefly considered putting it on the roof, but we didn't have anything to tie it down properly. So we pushed the cart back to the delivery counter and gave them the address for out client's townhome. Oh well. It was bound to happen sooner or later. But I'm certain this car will continue to surprise me, as well as the many furniture warehouse workers who raise their eyebrows in doubt when they see us pulling up to the loading bay in out Fit.

No comments: