May 31, 2009

My Other Car has Two Wheels

The reason I haven't updated in a while is partly because I've been thinking more about my other vehicle lately. The summer weather is finally here, and I've been taking the bike out at least once or twice a week.

Some of you might remember back in August 2007 that I had finished my Motorcycle riding training and had passed my road test for a motorcycle license. Well, since then, I had ridden a motorcycle only ONCE, during a BMW test ride around April of 2008. And by then, I haven't been on a bike in half a year. Given my limited prior experience, I stalled the demo bike twice before leaving the lot. But once I got moving, it all started to come back, and I really enjoyed the test ride.


It wasn't until October 2008 that I ended up purchasing a bike, a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R; A bike that has essentially not changed for the past two decades, but remains one of the top picks as a beginner sport motorcycle. However, since I purchased the bike in October, it was immediately put into storage policy and sat over the winter with the battery removed and fuel stabilizer in the tank.

I finally got the bike insured for the road in the beginning of May 2009, almost two years since I got my license. I was worried I wouldn't remember how to ride, but again, it all came back to me as I started riding. I think I did 140km on my first day riding just going around town aimlessly. I'm loving it, as the motorcycle has that acceleration I miss from my modded turbo days. Something the Fit just can't give me.

No comments: