December 18, 2006

My First Oops With The Fit

So, I had my first oops with the Fit tonight. It's really my own fault that I wasn't patient enough (not one of my virtues, maybe that should be one of my new year resolutions).

Anyways, I was going to the bank machine at the CIBC at the corner of Westminster Hwy and No. 3 Rd. in Richmond. For people who do not know, you go in through the back of the building, where there is a left hand turn that leads to a two lane, well, lane. There's not suppose to be ANY parking there as it is a firelane. However, there are quite often large trucks parked in there doing quick deliveries, leaving only the left lane open. Unfortunately, this leaves the angled parking spots on the left very difficult to get in and out of.

So such was the case tonight. A large delivery truck was parked on the right lane, and a late model Toyota Sienna was trying to get out of its parking spot on the left. The van was backed into the left lane a bit already while the driver had his door open trying to assess his position and see if he can get out with the truck in the other lane. I only had to wait a bit and I'm sure the driver of the Sienna would have drove back into his spot for a sec to let me through. But of course, I was impatient and decided that there was enough room for my tiny little Fit to get through. Well, I was almost correct in my assumption. And almost in this case meant I knicked a metal bar under the parked delivery truck with my passenger side mirror.

My heart sank when I heard the sound. I drove into a parking stall and came out to see how bad the damage is. Well, it's not horrible, but it's not just a surface scratch either. To fix this the mirror would need to be painted as it got just under the paint. Just then my Wife whom I was meeting called and I explained I had just scratched the new car. It didn't feel good at all.

Of course, zero damage to the truck since it was a black metal suppport bar hitting my plastic mirror. So no info was exchanged and I continued on with the rest of the night's activities, but kept thinking about how I scratched the mirror. Before I parked the car for the night, I took a picture of the damage with my cell phone camera.

No comments: