November 20, 2006

The Fit Gets Even Smaller

Remember this from about a year ago? Making real cars into Micro-Machine looking things using Photoshop. I never really looked into how to make them, but I recently stumbled onto a very easy to follow tutorial. So I made one from a generic side photo of an Alabaster Silver Metallic LX, and ventured onto doing a 3/4 shot of my wife's dream car, a Jaguar XJR. After trying it, I realize it is actually much more simple than I had imagined. Basically you do the following:
  1. Find a photo of your desired car, preferrably a side shot
  2. Use the Polygonal Lasso tool around the front wheel, getting the wheel arch and shadow, then copy and paste it to a new layer
  3. Do the same with the rear wheel, creating another new layer
  4. Go back to the original photo layer, then go to Edit, Free Transform, and narrow the photo to desired size
  5. Move the layers of full sized wheels to approximately where you wat them on the shrunken car
  6. Use Edit, Transform, Distort to twist the full size wheel layers if needed
  7. Use the erase tool at around 50% opaque around the full size wheels to blend the wheels into the shrunken background car
If you need more detailed help, check out this tutorial which helped me. It includes step-by-step screen captures, as well as a video example for reference.

Here's the original photo of the XJR I did for my wife:


And here's what it looks like after Photoshop:

No comments: